A lot of people all over the world are keen on gambling. It’s a captivating, fun, and a little bit risky way to spend your free time. Irish people are also into it: betting on sports, casinos, lotteries, and so forth. Nothing feels better than visiting pubs with the closest ones, ordering a drink, and betting on the horse racing competition. Yeah, as you may understand, gambling here is not just entertainment, it’s a great part of national culture. More than half of the entire population of Ireland takes part in this kind of entertainment, and this statistic is unbelievable! There are a few laws about gambling in this country, and you can look through them attentively later, but we can tell you, that all forms of punting are legal. The casinos are forbidden, but entrepreneurs register them as gaming clubs (they are still casinos though). Let’s move forward and find out more about it.
General facts and statistics
There are two general types of gambling: land-based and online. Land-based casinos compose about 1.5% in 2007 of the complete Irish Gambling industry, but now it’s even higher than 9%. The online segment was not very comfortable at first time, but now it picks up steam. Online casinos became very popular in 2020, after the Covid-19 epidemy. You will easily find the best online casinos that payout if you are interested in it.
Irish bettors lost around €1.36 billion in 2020 because of several factors, and it replaced them in 14th place globally for average highest losses, making them the 4th biggest bettors in Europe. Ireland was in 12th place on the list of the countries with the biggest national gross gaming revenue (1.7 billion euros) in 2019.
People in the 35-44 and 55-64 age categories adore betting most of all. According to yearly tax receipts, almost 57% of Irish people prefer lotteries, and 35% of them buy lottery tickets even though 1 time per year. Online lotteries provide only 9.3% of all types of lotteries.
The most beloved forms of Gambling
Let’s just write down there the most important ones:
- Betting. There are a lot of sports which you can wager on. Football, Golf, Rugby, Horse Racing, Boxing, Gaelic, Hurling, and even more exciting sports types.
- Lotteries. It’s the most beloved type of gambling here. You can buy your lucky ticket everywhere.
- National giveaways.
Predictions for the nearest future years
The progress of everything is unstoppable. That’s why the gambling industry in Ireland is going to level up too. New laws appeared to make gambling more reliable and simple to understand. Handbook men are ready to do everything to gain people’s trust. Gambling today is more fascinating and absorbing than it was yesterday. Experts explain that these developments were caused by various new functions. Such as:
- The exploitation of cryptocurrency. You can establish your crypto wallet, and place your money there. It’s simple and available in Ireland now.
- The increasing number of Live casinos. We mean special programs that may help people feel the atmosphere of a real casino. This idea is pretty new in Irish, but it becomes more popular every year.
- Smartphone Gambling. We have already mentioned, that bookies do everything to please their clients. It’s comfortable for people to take their smartphones everywhere, and work on them. Bookmakers noticed it, and many sites and applications are suitable for your mobile gadgets.
- Modern Innovations. For instance, VR casinos, or making some bets from your smartwatch. Sounds cool, isn’t it?
To sum up, as you could understand, Ireland is a country that is fond of gambling. People here have all the things to enjoy this kind of activity. A lot of options to choose from, responsible bookies, and the opportunity to bet without problems with the government. So, now you know more about Irish Gambling. Choose your favorite kind of it, and enjoy!